Forums » General Forum

New Book All About Film/TV Production Assistants (PAs)!

• 8 posts
    November 17, 2020 11:33 AM PST
    Hello readers and filmmaker peers,

I'm writing this post to share a project that I've been working on for a few years now. It's a nonfiction book all about film/TV production assistants, "Gofers: On the Front Lines of Film and Television!" If you have 90 seconds, I'm sure you'll enjoy this short trailer that explains more. (Watch this video to see and hear me talk--because aren't we all tired of reading stale emails and on-screen text?)

So far, the Queens Chronicle newspaper praised the book, and these are a few of the reviews that I'm humbled to have received from industry pros:

“'Gofers' is a must read for anyone interested in breaking into the motion picture industry. Full of how to, on-set knowledge, and peppered with anecdotes told through the eyes of veteran PA Daniel Scarpati, it is informative, fun, and tells it like it is.”​
    Tom Reilly, member: the Directors Guild of America, author of "The Hollywood MBA: A Crash Course in Management From a Life in The Film Business"

"I so wish I had this book when I was first trying to be a writer/producer in L.A. I started as a PA, but this would've saved me the two years it took to learn the protocol of Hollywood."​
    Russ Woody, producer/writer of Parenthood, The Middle, Becker, Mad About You and The Drew Carey Show

The book's primary audience is us here on this forum: "perpetual apprentice" filmmakers! People who want to break into our industry as a PA on films, TV shows and commercials. Or those who want to grow in their craft and see things from the perspective of PAs. The secondary audience is fans of behind-the-scenes stories from set. Regardless of which group a reader is in, my aim is to educate through entertainment. This is the book that I wish existed in college--something to guide me as I was starting out with zero connections.

The book contains dozens of valuable lessons: how to start out with zero connections, what a freelance lifestyle entails and why success is all about who you don't know. Come behind the scenes of countless sets to hear about the plentiful, sometimes painful tasks PAs are asked to do so the show can go on!

I welcome all questions and comments--please feel free to reply. Sending warm regards to you and yours,

• 397 posts
    November 24, 2020 10:36 AM PST

Hey Daniel and welcome to our forums!  
    Nice and very insightful video you have posted here! :) 

• 29 posts
    November 30, 2020 5:38 AM PST

I have never read such a book before but I would love to! So you wrote it from your experience? That is amazing!

• 8 posts
    November 30, 2020 3:09 PM PST
    Maura Barbulescu said:

So nice to (virtually) meet you, Maura! Thank you for welcoming me with your comment... and I'm glad you enjoyed the video. Hopefully it paints a picture of what my book is about. =D

• 8 posts
    November 30, 2020 4:39 PM PST
    Alishia Lester said:

I have never read such a book before but I would love to! So you wrote it from your experience? That is amazing!

Yes, Alishia! I worked full-time as a PA for years on everything from local commercials and national awards shows to CBS' Kevin Can Wait, Amazon's Marvelous Mrs. Maisel and just about everything in-between. I sincerely hope you enjoy learning from the dozens of behind-the-scenes experiences shared within. =)

• 397 posts
    December 1, 2020 4:18 AM PST
    Daniel Scarpati said:
    Maura Barbulescu said:

So nice to (virtually) meet you, Maura! Thank you for welcoming me with your comment... and I'm glad you enjoyed the video. Hopefully it paints a picture of what my book is about. =D

It sure did! I also like the original way you present us your project, very creative !

• 29 posts
    December 1, 2020 4:21 AM PST
    Daniel Scarpati said:
    Alishia Lester said:

Yes, Alishia! I worked full-time as a PA for years on everything from local commercials and national awards shows to CBS' Kevin Can Wait, Amazon's Marvelous Mrs. Maisel and just about everything in-between. I sincerely hope you enjoy learning from the dozens of behind-the-scenes experiences shared within. =)

You have a lot of experience, I am sure we can learn a lot from you!

• 55 posts
    December 16, 2020 1:46 AM PST

Great idea!

• 40 posts
    December 16, 2020 2:13 AM PST

So cool! Where can I purchase this book from?

• 8 posts
    December 16, 2020 6:13 AM PST
    Robert Miller said:

Great idea!

Thank you for saying so, Robert! If you don't mind sharing the above YouTube video withy your friends on social media, that'd be a huge help. And I hope you enjoy reading if you pick up a copy. =D

• 8 posts
    December 16, 2020 6:15 AM PST
    Charlotte Davis said:

Thank you for commenting, Charlotte! All of the links to the places where you can purchase the book from are listed on my website, www.passingplanes.com/book

• 55 posts
    December 16, 2020 8:30 AM PST
    Daniel Scarpati said:
    Robert Miller said:

Great idea!

Thank you for saying so, Robert! If you don't mind sharing the above YouTube video withy your friends on social media, that'd be a huge help. And I hope you enjoy reading if you pick up a copy. =D

Consider it done. 

• 40 posts
    December 16, 2020 8:31 AM PST
    Daniel Scarpati said:
    Charlotte Davis said:

Thank you for commenting, Charlotte! All of the links to the places where you can purchase the book from are listed on my website, www.passingplanes.com/book

Thank you, Daniel!