Behind the Fight: Developing the Visual Language of a New Project

  • September 28, 2026 4:41 AM PDT

    Hello everyone!
    I recently had the chance to do a kickboxing photoshoot as part of the early development of an upcoming project I’m working on.

    For me, this shoot was more than creating a set of action photos. It was a way to start exploring the visual language of the project before moving into the next stages of production.

    I wanted to experiment with movement, lighting, framing, tension, and the way the human body tells part of a story without dialogue. Working with a kickboxer also gave me an opportunity to think about how I would approach certain moments from a cinematographer’s perspective. What should the camera see? When should we stay close? When should we pull back? How do we make movement feel physical and immediate?

    The photoshoot was essentially a visual test for what is coming next. I’m using what I learned from the shoot to develop the look and approach of the project further.

    I’ll be sharing more about the project as it develops. For now, here are a few frames from the test shoot.

    I'd also love to hear your thoughts on this. When you are developing a project, do you use photography or other visual tests to help establish the cinematography before production?

    _DSC0642.jpg_DSC0635.jpg

    _DSC0588.jpg _DSC0542.jpg

    _DSC0739.jpg

  • October 1, 2026 12:46 PM PDT

    If I need an Actor for a character that is MI5 can I contact you to audition? 🎬