Forums » General Forum

Short documentary to share

• July 24, 2012 5:24 AM PDT

Had the oppertunity to document and shoot a short interview this week with a person very much addicted to drugs and I put together this short film.

It does contain graphic intravenous drug use so be warned. Any comments the subject or the construction of the film are more than welcome.

Thanks

Mark Brown

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nmqmS1bU3vg />

• August 7, 2012 12:35 PM PDT

Hi Mark,

I wasn't able to hear your questions very well.

However, the answers were very clear.

I wondered where his crucified god was in relation to his addiction.

Was he goddless but, feining a closeness to the cross of christianity or was he attributing his addiction and pleasure from it...to his god?

Had the addicted one become the almighty one?

Is this guy supposed to be a mentor for people on the edge of heroin addiction?

You seem to have glammorized his very expensive habit without revealing the medical consequences of his using an illegal drug meant for surgical procedures not reckless people living near poverty wanting a constant 'happy day'.

You might want to examine your motive for this film.

How responsible and really informative is it?

I see it being a 'How To Shoot Up in Your Dingy Apartment', film.

This is coming from a godless wonder, very in-tuned to medical knowledge.

Impress me.

• August 11, 2012 3:38 AM PDT

The film is a documented extraction of someones opinion about their own life and what is cureently controlling it. It isn't meant to have a clear cut message or influence peoples decisions about drugs, the inanimate objects such as the crucifix and the plastic toy represent that there are no physical beings attesting or consenting to the way this person is living there life and in effect has left them officially isolated from company and physical contact, this is reflected in one of the statement made by the subject to he referes to himself as isolated and 'having lost alot of freinds' due to the dependency, however the crucifix has a double meaning (most importantly the one focused on around his neck) it represents that the subject does not feel totaly alone and relies on a more spiritual entity to provide comfort and unspoken thoughts and relativity, I wouldn't say this glamourises drugs in any form nor does it specifically deter people from the use of such substances,, it's there as a reference for people or a relation to others, it's designed for an adult audience to percieve and to judge and take from it whatever they will individually it does not suggest anything it provides one persons point of view

Thanks for your comments very much appreciated.

Mark

• August 11, 2012 3:44 AM PDT

The lizard represents the same but of course this is a physical being so I stand slightly corrected in the sense that no 'human' being is tolerating the behaviour, however the reptile has no opinion, leaving her effectively inanimate to such events.

• August 15, 2012 11:06 PM PDT

It really reminds of the True Life series they do on MTV except gritier. 

• August 13, 2013 12:59 PM PDT

Good work. Nicely shot. Full of insight into the life of an addict. Don't see it as glamorising heroin addiction. Just a frank discussion with an addict. If you are going to document someone who's life is dominated by heroin, you can't shy away from showing what it is he is physically addicted to. The music seemed a little loud sometimes but drugs and music have such a close relationship that it still made sense on the whole.

I wanted to hear more, as sad as it was.

Reminded me of TV Junkie, great self-documentary about a successful news reporter in the US and his fall from on high due to his crack cocaine addiction.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0492494/