Forums » Drones

What drone would you recommend for a novice?

• 397 posts
    July 25, 2020 3:30 AM PDT

In your opinion, what are the best drones for a novice? I believe that someone just starting does not have a big budget to afford a professional drone, therefore, based on your experience, what should he try?

• 39 posts
    August 7, 2020 9:39 AM PDT

It depends on your budget and what you want to do with it.

I would get one of these.

Mavic Mini is $399

Mavic Air 2 $799

Mavic 2 Zoom $1499

Mavic 2 Pro $1599

• 397 posts
    November 24, 2020 10:52 AM PST

Thank you Kim for your reply! Indeed, I heard a lot of positive feedback about Mavic :) 

• 2 posts
    November 24, 2020 2:00 PM PST

I agree that its hard to go wrong with a DJI drone.  For your first drone I'd recommend the Mavic Mini 2 or the Mavic Air 2 if you're on a budget, and the Mavic 2 Pro if you have the money.  if you really want to get into a drone that can get you a lot of cool shots, but basically flies itself and keeps you out of trouble then the Skydio 2 is the drone for you.  I 've been flying for years, and  a friend of mine got a Skydio 2 as his first drone, and right out of the box was able to get shots that took me years to be confident to pull off.  The Skydio 2 is a smart drone that uses AI and generates a 360 degree point cloud to understand its environment to a much greater degree then other drones.  This allows it to get much closer to objects and to fly around them much more easily than other drones.  The Skydio 2 is fairly backordered last I checked and it runs about $2000 for a kit with controller, but its really next gen. 

• 39 posts
    November 25, 2020 12:16 AM PST

I was looking at the skidio 2 and it looks awesome. 

• 397 posts
    November 25, 2020 1:57 AM PST

This is the first time I hear about Skydio 2, thank you for the information Jon! :D I will look it up!

• 29 posts
    December 1, 2020 4:24 AM PST

I never heard about Skydio 2 as well but it looks a bit over the budget for me right now. 

• 55 posts
    December 16, 2020 2:10 AM PST

I never tried a drone but my friend has a Mavic 2 and he is very happy about it!